|Name:||Home Library Service Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Plymouth City Council Library Services|
|Location:||Central Library, Taylor Maxwell House, 167-171 Armada Way, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1HZ|
A minimum commitment of hours volunteering will apply to this role. We do need volunteers all year round for this role.
(16+) There are hundreds of people in Plymouth who love reading but who are too frail to visit a library any more.
The Home Library Service exists to take books to them in their own homes, providing a friendly personalised book delivery service.
As a Home Library Service volunteer you will:
- Deliver books and audiobooks to users who cannot access the Library Service, whether they live independently or in a care home setting
- Keep accurate records of your car mileage and receive a monthly reimbursement for using your car
- Work with other services that support older people in the city to develop strong communities for older people across the city
This role is available anywhere in the city, although you may be based at one or more libraries.
Plymouth's Library and Information Service has 17 public libraries located across the city where you can:
- Borrow books, DVDs, Blu-Rays and talking books
- Go online, free Internet access in our libraries; log on anytime, anywhere to our 24/7 library to find and reserve books, renew what you have borrowed or access our premium reference resources
- Specialist services for family and local history, music, European information and intellectual property e.g. copyright, patents, trademarks and design
- Ask us any question, any time - in person, on the phone or online
- Special events and activities, plus improved services to help you keep healthy
- Reader's and writer's groups, friendship groups, free film shows, rhyme times, story times and holiday activities for children
You do not need to have any previous experience of volunteering or of working in a library. It would be useful if you:
- Like and are empathetic towards older people
- Enjoy reading books and can choose books which you think other people will enjoy
- Have good communication skills
- Are patient
- Are reliable
We will need to take up references and carry out a Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced Level Check before you can start.
- Volunteer experience in a library setting
- Help others in your community
- Develop confidence and experience
- Gain new skills - Great for your CV
|Other:||Please note it can take up to 2 weeks to respond to potential volunteers following initial contact from them|
Application form, Informal discussion, References, DBS Check