|Name:||Computer Buddy Volunteer|
|Organisation:||Plymouth City Council Library Services|
|Location:||Central Library, Taylor Maxwell House, 167-171 Armada Way, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 1HZ|
A minimum commitment of hours volunteering will apply to this role. You can volunteer across as many libraries as you wish, or choose to support one.
(16+) There are still thousands of people in Plymouth who don’t have a computer or tablet of their own, and don’t know how to use one. As a result, they aren’t able to access official online services, online discounts, or keep up with family and friends via social media and Facebook.
As a Computer Buddy you will:
Support people who want to learn how to use computers but don’t know how to go about taking the first step as well as volunteering with library staff and partners.
This role can be taken at any of the libraries with opportunities for volunteering in Plymouth.
Plymouth's Library and Information Service has 17 public libraries located across the city where you can:
- Borrow books, DVDs, Blu-Rays and talking books
- Go online, free Internet access in our libraries; log on anytime, anywhere to our 24/7 library to find and reserve books, renew what you have borrowed or access our premium reference resources
- Specialist services for family and local history, music, European information and intellectual property e.g. copyright, patents, trademarks and design
- Ask us any question, any time - in person, on the phone or online
- Special events and activities, plus improved services to help you keep healthy
- Reader's and writer's groups, friendship groups, free film shows, rhyme times, story times and holiday activities for children
You do not need to have any previous experience of volunteering in a library.
It would be useful if you:
- Have an interest in computer hardware and software applications so that you can share your knowledge and offer advice to library customers
- Know about using the Internet, particularly ‘staying safe’ online
- Have good communication skills
- Are patient
- Are reliable
We will need to take up references and carry out a Disclosure and Barring Service Enhanced Level Check before you can start.
- Volunteer experience in a library setting
- Help others in your community
- Develop confidence and experience
- Gain new skills - Great for your CV
|Other:||Please note it can take up to 2 weeks to respond to potential volunteers following initial contact from them.|
Application form, Informal discussion, References, DBS Check