|Name:||Speaker to Community Groups|
|Organisation:||Action on Hearing Loss|
|Location:||Unit 27, HQ Business Centre, 237 Union Street, Plymouth, Devon, PL1 3HQ|
(18+) To deliver talks to community groups with the aims of increasing understanding of hearing loss, deafness and Tinnitus, raising awareness of the work of Action on Hearing Loss and promoting involvement with Action on Hearing Loss.
- Deliver a variety of talks, either general Action on Hearing Loss information, or on a specific subject, tailoring it to the needs of the group; (materials and information will be provided)
- Become familiar with the range of Action on Hearing Loss information and local services;
- Answer questions from the audience and distribute information if appropriate;
- Monitor the number of people at the talk and feedback to your Volunteer Coordinator;
- Ensure there is a loop system at the venue and set up portable loop, or other communications equipment if not;
- Eventually, seek out new groups interested in receiving a talk;
- Promote the work of Action on Hearing Loss
- Promote involvement with Action on Hearing Loss
- Meet with other Action on Hearing Loss volunteers to discuss your work and suggest any improvements.
The level of commitment depends entirely on each individual volunteer.
Action on Hearing Loss is a charity working for a world where deafness and hearing loss do not limit or label people, where Tinnitus is silenced and where people value and look after their hearing.
Action on Hearing campaigns and lobbies to raise awareness of hearing loss, provides information and training, conducts and supports social, medical and technical research, develops new technology, markets assistive equipment, runs residential care centres and works with volunteers who extend the range and enrich the quality of our services.
- confidence in speaking to individuals, groups and professionals;
- knowledge of or willingness to learn about issues affecting deaf and hard of hearing people;
- friendly, reliable and approachable manner;
- ability to listen to questions and to answer appropriately - making a note of questions for Action on Hearing Loss staff if you are unable to answer in full;
|Special Needs:||We encourage those who have a hearing loss or are deaf to get involved.|
|Training:||Yes, training in understanding hearing loss and Action on Hearing Loss services will be given.|
|Other:||Please Note: A DBS check is required for this role. If potential volunteers have not heard from the organisation within a week, please contact Plymouth Volunteer Centre.|
Application form, Informal discussion, References, Trial Period