|Name:||Volunteer Host at the National Marine Aquarium|
|Organisation:||National Marine Aquarium|
|Location:||National Marine Aquarium, Rope Walk, Coxside, Plymouth, Devon, PL4 0LF|
Volunteer minimum 1 day a week, shifts are 10am-4pm (6 hours long with a 30-minute lunch break). Volunteers start on a 4 week trial and after this we like our volunteers to stay as long as they can. Some volunteers are here for 6-9 months, a couple of years or even 15 years!
Volunteer Hosts interact, engage and inspire our visitors about our animals and marine conservation. These interactions take many forms: informal chats, busking activities and mini talks. Hosting is great for improving communication skills and gaining confidence. It gives volunteers invaluable experience in informal education and public communication. It is also great fun and an opportunity to be part of a team.
Other opportunities often arise including working with visitors in our Creative Centre on weekends and holidays, being involved with weekend birthday parties and assisting in one off events such as rockpooling, beach cleans and representing the National Marine Aquarium at shows and events around Plymouth. Volunteers may also get involved in formal education including school tours, art and science workshops.
If you are interested in the opportunity and fit the requirements please get in contact.
How to Apply - Please email a brief outline (no more than 200 words) of the skill and experience you have that would make you a strong candidate, if you would like to you can also include a CV.
The National Marine Aquarium is the largest public aquarium in the UK welcoming 300,000 visitors per year (including the 30,000 school students who engage with our innovative Just Add H2O Schools Programme). Our awe-inspiring exhibits, featuring marine animals from near and far, provide an environment that intrigues, inspires and motivates our visitors to engage with our conservation messages and hopefully do their bit to help protect the marine environment.
• Volunteer minimum 1 day a week, shifts are 10am-4pm (6 hours long with a 30-minute lunch break)
• Should have strong communication skills and enjoy talking
• Should have an interest in the marine environment, prior knowledge is not essential as training is provided
• Should have an interest in marine conservation
• Need to be reliable and dedicated
• To volunteer you must be aged 17 or over (If you are 17 you must have a letter of consent from a parent or guardian).
• In line with the requirements of the Asylum and Immigration Act 1996, all applicants must be eligible to live and work in the UK. As part of the recruitment process, you will be asked to provide documented evidence of eligibility.
• The National Marine Aquarium Limited welcomes applications from all sections of the community and is an Equal Opportunities employer.
Hosting is great for improving communication skills and gaining confidence. It gives volunteers invaluable experience in informal education and public communication. It is also great fun and an opportunity to be part of a team. Being part of the Aquarium you will learn a wealth of knowledge on the marine environment and marine conservation.
|Expenses:||Not able to offer expenses for travelling to or from the Aquarium|
|Special Needs:||On a case-by-case basis|
|Training:||Full inductions and training|
Informal discussion, Trial Period