|Name:||Pendennis Castle Gun Team - Tour Guide Volunteer|
|Location:||Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 4LP|
The gun team will be in operation on all open days at Pendennis – which is every day March to October and weekends November to February, with additional days for school holidays. Each session will be 10:30am-3pm. We would hope that you would be able to commit to at least a day a fortnight.
In 2018, Pendennis Castle is launching a new interpretation programme, helping visitors to get the best out of their day and explore more elements of the Pendennis story. To support this programme, we will be recruiting a team of volunteers for a wide variety of roles. The Gun Team will play an integral part in telling the story of Pendennis Castle’s rich military past through its incredible collection of artillery. The tour guide will expand on this experience by taking all types of visitors on a journey through the history of the castle.
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic buildings, monuments and sites - from world-famous prehistoric sites to grand medieval castles, from Roman forts on the edges of the empire to a Cold War bunker. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million people each year.
What skills, qualities and experience do I need?
An enthusiasm for history and an ability to effectively communicate are musts. No
experience or qualifications are necessary; this is also an excellent opportunity to gain some
experience in the heritage industry.
What support and training will I receive?
We are developing a full training programme to support this role. Elements will include
• An introduction to the site.
• Tour guide training, training on engaging the public and keeping your tours safe.
• As this role involves being part of the gun firing team, we will also support you to understand your role in keeping that safe.
• 2-Way radio training.
There will be plenty of opportunity to practice your tours and really get comfortable with it before delivery.
What can I expect from English Heritage?
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
• To be treated fairly and with respect.
• Recognition and appreciation for your contribution.
• A full induction and training programme with on-going support.
• A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering.
• Reimbursement of reasonable local travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits.
• A certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers.
• You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.
Application form, Informal discussion