|Name:||Pendennis Castle Visitor Volunteer|
|Location:||Pendennis Castle, Falmouth, Cornwall, TR11 4LP|
The site is open at varying times through the year. For the most part we hope that you will be able to offer at least one day a fortnight, particularly in peak season. We open from 10am-4pm. March – October – open daily, November – February – open weekends with additional open days during the school holidays
In 2018, Pendennis Castle is launching a new interpretation programme, helping visitors to get the best out of their day and explore more elements of the Pendennis story.
Visitor Volunteers help bring the exciting and varied history of Pendennis Castle to life. You will support visitors to get the most from their visit by encouraging exploration and sharing information about this wonderful site.
English Heritage cares for over 400 historic buildings, monuments and sites - from world-famous prehistoric sites to grand medieval castles, from Roman forts on the edges of the empire to a Cold War bunker. Through these, we bring the story of England to life for over 10 million people each year.
• You will have a friendly, enthusiastic manner and enjoy dealing with people from all walks of life.
• You will be a good reader of people.
• you will have confidence in your ability to communicate well with all age groups.
• You will be keen to learn more about Pendennis Castle’s history and bring it to life.
• You will be happy to be on your own in our exhibition spaces or around the site, with members of the public, and direct your own activity.
What support and training will I receive?
• A full induction to English Heritage, Pendennis Castle and your role including background on the site.
• Role specific training including exploring the role and communicating effectively with visitors.
• Proper kit to undertake your role, such as handling collection.
• Volunteers will be given clear guidance on how to address security or safety issues and will always have access to an English Heritage member of staff.
What can I expect from English Heritage?
• A welcoming and enjoyable experience.
• To be treated fairly and with respect.
• Recognition and appreciation for your contribution.
• A full induction and training programme with on-going support.
• A volunteer pass allowing free entry to English Heritage properties is available on completion of 60 hours and four months of volunteering.
• Reimbursement of reasonable local travel costs between home and volunteering location within agreed limits.
• A certificate to demonstrate work carried out for English Heritage is available on request to show future employers or further education providers.
• You will be covered by English Heritage’s own indemnity arrangements in respect of all liabilities that may result from your appointment as a volunteer.